A blog dedicated to the world of broadcast and public relations
Thursday, January 3, 2013
Feed the Hungry by Fueling the Media
At the start of each year, many of us make resolutions to change up some aspect of our lives with the goal of doing better and feeling better in the New Year. The top resolutions, not surprisingly, fall around the big self-help bucket and include such things as diet and exercise, reducing stress, working on our relationships, and getting our personal finances in order. An outlier, though seemingly gaining in popularity, is helping others. Why? Perhaps because when you help out someone else, you not only help them live a little easier or better, it makes you feel good in the process. You get more bang for the buck and frankly, it offers some immediate gratification, which is a key to resolution success. The other keys, experts say, to keeping with resolutions, are to be realistic, take small steps, and keep it simple.
This year, for the first time, the entire News Generation team has made a resolution. Together, we are engaging in causes we care about and actively trying to do something about them. We are kicking off the year with one such important effort by leveraging our collective skill set and doing what we do best, media relations, to help Feeding America. Our goal is to not only raise awareness of the eye-opening facts around hunger in America, but also to give listeners simple and easy ways for them to personally make a difference in their local communities. We chose this time frame because, unfortunately, while giving is generous at the holidays, hunger is an issue that persists year-round. We’ve produced a set of audio PSAs and right now, we are pitching 150 radio station and networks with the goal of reaching at least ten million listeners with this information.
We’d love your help. And don’t worry, what we are asking is simple and quick. Between now and February 15, please:
- LISTEN to the PSA (please click on link here, and again on jump page in order to play)
feedingamerica30ra (Real Audio)
- SHARE it (and the facts below) far and wide — using the share icons at the top of this post — across your own social networks; and
- If you can, please ACT upon any of the suggestions to help in your local community.
Facts about Hunger in America, courtesy of Feeding America
- More than 50 million people in America, including nearly 17 million children, are food insecure, meaning they live at risk of hunger. That is one in every six people.
- Feeding America is the nation’s leading domestic hunger-relief charity, with more than 200 member food banks serving all 50 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico.
- The Feeding America network of food banks secure and distribute more than 3 billion pounds of donated food and grocery products annually through a network of approximately 61,000 food assistance agencies, such as food pantries, soup kitchens, emergency shelters and after-school programs.
- In fact, 37 million people in America, or one in eight people, receive food and groceries from Feeding America each year, including nearly 14 million children and 3 million seniors. That’s 5.7 million Americans receiving food every week.