A blog dedicated to the world of broadcast and public relations
Wednesday, July 3, 2013
PRSA-NCC Presents “Put More Power and Precision in your PR and PA Writing” on Thursday, August 8 from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
If you want to write more successfully for PR/PA purposes, then this workshop is for you. Through presentation, exercises and discussion, you learn “best principles and practices” for writing powerfully and precisely for the media and other target audiences from instructor Don Bates. Some topics include:
- How to focus your time and attention so you write more productively.
- How to write more strategically and appropriately in light of recent research on how the media and other experts view PR/PA writing and what they expect from it.
- How to write more effectively for social media with emphasis on tone, transparency and two-way conversation.
Attendees will participate in an afternoon group critique. During this time, participants will receive constructive feedback from the instructor and/or other attendees on the writing sample they previously submit for selected analysis. Submission instructions will be sent following registration confirmation.
To make the workshop as practical as possible for all attendees, Don focuses on news releases and “pitch” emails/letters, although the guidelines he covers are applicable to all PR/PA documents. Attendees will also learn to make the editing and approval of their writing easier to handle, and how to take charge of the writing process to assure PR/PA success.
In addition, attendees will leave with:
- New concepts for writing better.
- New ideas for writing news others will use.
- New models for writing emails, news releases and more.
- New approaches for writing your own blog or in others.
- New insights into writing for social media.
- New time-saving templates that make pitches and media alerts far less time consuming.
- New thinking for achieving PR/PA writing success.
Instructor, editor, enabler
Don Bates, APR, Fellow PRSA, is a teacher, trainer and consultant in public relations and public affairs. He has conducted scores of writing workshops for corporations, government agencies, not-for-profit organizations, PR/PA agencies, and PRSA-NCC and PRSA-NY. For a dozen years, he was president of The Bates Company, the New York-based PR/PA agency he sold in the 1990s. Currently, he teaches graduate writing courses at NYU and is a senior consultant on PR agency management and M&A with StevensGouldPincus. He has taught at the New School University, the New York Institute of Technology, and Columbia University, and he was founding director of the graduate PR/PA degree program at The George Washington University, which he helped to establish. He is honorary trustee of the Institute for Public Relations, and vice president of the W.B. Yeats Society of New York. He is a member of both PRSA-NCC and PRSA-NY.
Event Date: Thursday, August 8, 2013, from 8:00am to 4:00pm, to register visit https://www.prsa-ncc.org/put-more-power-and-precision-your-pr-and-pa-writing.
Cost: $185 for PRSA and WWPR Members, $265 Non-members and $110 for Students/ Retirees
Location: Hager Sharp 1030 15th Street Suite 600E, NW Washington, DC 20005
Metro: Farragut West or McPherson Square (blue/orange)/Farragut North (red line)