Thursday, November 20, 2014
Beyond the Basics: Strengthen Your LinkedIn Profile
Having grown from a mere 4,500 users in its first month of operation to now more than 332,000,000 users in 200 countries and territories worldwide, LinkedIn dominates online professional networking. Of course most of us in PR are on LinkedIn by now, but how strong is your profile? Does your home page say beginner, intermediate, advanced, expert, or all star?
With so many professionals now on LinkedIn, it’s time to consider ways to enhance your profile and set yourself apart. Whether you’re looking for your next job opportunity, new to the area and looking to make connections or looking to build your business network, using LinkedIn effectively is vital.
If you’re hesitant to make needed changes to your profile in fear that it’ll be time consuming, you’re right, it will be – but it’s worth it. “Thinking proactively and thinking strategically and starting to revise or refine your vision, your mission, your strategic objectives, that takes a lot of time,” LinkedIn’s CEO, Jeff Weiner, told Business Insider. “It’s all about building, it’s all about getting it done.”
To help you “get it done,” a recent Ragan.com article reviewed “10 Ways to Make Your LinkedIn Profile the Best it can be:”
- Update your profile information;
- Customize your public profile URL;
- Add important links;
- Fill out your “summary” section;
- Ensure you have company logos for each of your positions in your “experience” section;
- Add links to articles, blog posts, videos or work samples to your profile;
- Update your “skills and endorsements” page;
- Follow companies to keep up to date with your ecosystem;
- Connect with “people you may know” to grow your network; and
- Update your status at least once a week and write via LinkedIn Publisher.
Consider all the new attention your profile can attract if you take the time to make these simple changes. Your LinkedIn account is a reflection of your brand, so make sure it accurately represents you.